Wednesday 24 May 2017

Today's Tip - Prepping Meals

As someone with multiple Chronic Illnesses, I often find it hard to cook. I may be too exhausted. I may be too dizzy. I may not feel hungry. I may be nauseous. No matter what the reason is, this can leave me without the ability to eat. Especially something nutritious. And even more so because I live alone.

I've come to a place where I try and make sure I have food available every day so that I get at least one good meal a day, even when I feel too sick to eat.

Eating healthy is really hard to do when you have no energy to take the extra time to prepare everything, but I can feel the difference between eating quality food versus eating quick to prepare, unnutritious, 'food'.

Instead, I've learned to take advantage of my good time, my full spoon days. I make large amounts of food when I have the energy to do so. Big batches of easily freezable meals or things that will keep in the fridge all week.

This is the only way that I can get the proper nutrition on all days. Today I made a huge pasta salad, chalk full of veggies, chickpeas for protein and a light dill vinaigrette. This will last me for several days and I know I'm getting a good meal out of it.

Other days, I will make a large curry dish and portion it out for several more meals or a hearty soup. Depending on the season, the menu items change. In the winter, the curries and soups are fabulous, body warming and satisfying. Now that it is Spring, there are so much more fresh vegetables available so it's amazing the array of dishes that can be made. I do like making the salads around this time, they are refreshing, not too heavy and can be made with a vast array of fresh fruit and veggies.

Another thing that I really like to have this time of year, that can be very easy, are wraps (or bowls if you do not want a bread). The first day, I break up all my current ingredients for my wraps into portions. Everything is put into the fridge in the same area for easy grabbing. This way, when hungry, I only need to grab these preportioned packages and just have to put it together. All the prep has already been done.

What are some of your favourite preplanned meals? Comment below!

1 comment:

Sick From Your Environment

Does your environment make you sick?  One thing that I've had for as long as I can remember, is what I thought was allergies or sensi...